Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Rain, Rain.....

Observations of a Farmgirl...

It blew in about 1:30 p.m yesterday....and rained and rained and rained. So much so, that our street was full from curb to curb and water was swirling up our driveway about 4 feet. Enough so, that I watched someones 90 gallon garbage can floating south, right down the middle of my street...and actually briefly...fleetingly, brought back memories of tubing down the Salt River. My thoughts were immediately LOCAL...as in the back yard, and all the planting we have done lately. I really expected to look out and see everything in the garden rushing toward the fence in a vortex of water, leaves, dirt and lots and lots of sweetgum balls, but much to my very pleasant surprise...upon peering out the bedroom window, all that was happening was that everything was getting a good watering. Upon that discovery and the happiness in knowing that everything had not been swept away, my thoughts became a bit more GLOBAL and for an instant I felt panic for the poor people in the mid-west who are already under more water than they need. I vowed right then and there...peering out the guest bedroom window, that no matter how much rain we get...and even if I were to lose a few plants, I WOULD NOT COMPLAIN about the rain...EVER,EVER,EVER!!!!! And that vow was revisited this morning as I listened to a poor woman in Iowa crying because EVERYTHING she and her husband had worked for was GONE,GONE,GONE. She didn't even know if her house was still going to be there when the time came to go "home". I wept, but realized my weeping was not going to replace everything that so many have lost. And once again my thoughts take a tangent and I start thinking that with the loss of crops from the rain, food prices will yet again rise...because of the law of supply and demand. And the pitiful part of that is that the poor farmer won't really benefit from the rise ....... he's already been paid pittance for his crops. And then my thoughts once again return to my little garden in my little corner of the world.......and I thank God that my little crop has been spared. And then I promise to share it.

Affirmations of a Farmgirl...

"Sometimes in the winds of change we find our true direction."

No comments: